Experience the "Living Laboratory" at
Since its founding five decades ago, environmental sustainability has been a part of the University of California, San Diego’s institutional DNA, inherited from the university’s forebears at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. Now, as UC San Diego marks its 50th Anniversary, the university will host an open house to celebrate its history of pioneering global climate research and its transformation into a living laboratory of sustainable solutions. But it isn’t all academics; the ”UC San Diego Green Open House: A Living Laboratory” will kick off the university’s Earth Week celebration April 16-22 with fun for the entire family including a car show, entertainment, landscape exhibits, cooking demos, health screenings and much more. The free event takes place Saturday, April 16 from 10am-3pm on the UC San Diego campus in La Jolla.
“Our university colors are blue and gold, but green is an unofficial color here at UC San Diego,” said Chancellor Marye Anne Fox. “We have made sustainability a top academic, research and campus-operations priority, and we are excited to share our efforts and innovations with the community. We invite everyone to attend Green Open House and learn more about what UC San Diego, and you, can do to build a cleaner, greener future and make the right lifestyle choices.”
The event, which takes place in and around the heart of campus, will feature a variety of activities, demonstrations and entertainment. Highlights include:
- Clean and Green Car Show: Featuring some of the newest designs in electric, hybrid, biodiesel and Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) vehicles including: Chevy Volt and CNG van; full speed electric vehicles from Mitsubishi, Coda Automotive, Phoenix Motor Cars, Tesla and Nissan; an electric ATV; electric dune buggy; and a Formula Hybrid. The UC San Diego Fleet— ranked #22 in the nation in Sustainability in “The 100 Best Fleets” organization’s ranking of government fleets—will have some of its hybrid and alternative fueled vehicles on display as well.
- Healthy People, Healthy Planet: Showcasing ideas for healthy living with healthy cooking and sustainable food demonstrations by local chefs, health screenings, fitness demonstrations, Wii exercising and Zumba dancing, healthy aging tips and more.
- Children’s Zone: The activity area will feature popular band Hullabaloo as well as face painting, airbrush/tattoo artists, hats by the Rad Hatter, jump house/giant slide and rock climbing wall.
- UCSD Alumni Beer and Bites Garden: Featuring Stone Brewing Co. beer and snacks for sale from 11am-3pm. The Beer and Bites Garden will also host a “Beer and Chocolate” tasting with chocolates from Chuao Chocolatier. Tickets for the tasting will be $10. All proceeds will benefit “Invent the Future: The UC San Diego Student Support Campaign” which funds scholarships and fellowships for deserving students.
- Sustainability Walking Tours: These 45-minute tours will highlight some of the innovations and business practices that have led to UC San Diego being named one of the greenest universities in the nation. Stops will showcase a green dorm room, water-wise landscaping, campus’ energy operations, Sustainability Resource Center and much more.
- Meet the Minds: Faculty demonstrations highlighting research, innovation and discoveries from all areas of campus.
- Electronic Recycling/DropOff: Recycle electronic waste on “E-Waste Drive” before heading into Green Open House or simply drive by and drop it off. A complete list of what will and will not be accepted can be found online at www.50th.ucsd.edu.
- Green Business Summit: Hosted by UC San Diego Extension, the event features networking opportunities and inspirational speakers on how social and environmental strategies are creating profitable business models. Separate registration and fee required. Learn more at http://extension.ucsd.edu/summit.
- Food Justice Forum: The forum will focus on “Cultivating University-Community Partnerships for a Healthier Society.” The event is free but separate registration is required at http://ssi.ucsd.edu
- Triton Life/Library Walk: Featuring student organizations/food booths, UC San Diego Admissions information and other campus life booths.
- Water-Wise Landscape Show: UC San Diego Landscape Services together with their industry partners in water-wise irrigation, vegetation and architecture will have an interactive demonstration and displays to answer your questions on better landscape options for your home and business.
Ample free parking will be available and free shuttles will be provided from designated parking areas to the center of campus. As part of its commitment to being green, UC San Diego has also partnered with the Metropolitan Transit System (MTS) and North County Transit District (NCTD) to provide public transportation options. Green Open House attendees will be able to print and use a 4-ride-free bus pass on specific bus routes and a 2-for-1 pass on the Coaster. Full transportation details and the printable passes can be found online at www.50th.ucsd.edu.
UC San Diego is fortunate to have generous sponsors that have stepped forward to help support 50th Anniversary celebration events and activities. These sponsors include:
- Visionary Sponsors: Sempra Energy (Lead Sponsor Green Open House); Cubic Corporation; and Qualcomm
- Innovator Sponsors: VOLT
- Overachiever Sponsor: Cymer, Inc.
- True Blue Triton Sponsors: BKM/Steelcase; Classic Party Rentals; Consolidated Electrical Distributors, Inc. (CED); Swinerton Builders
- Supporting Sponsors: Clark Construction; Skidmore, Owings and Merrill; Turner Construction Company; USE Credit Union; and Webcor Builders
- Media Partners: Clear Channel Communications; Diego 91.7/La Mejor FM 99.3; KFMB-TV/CBS 8 San Diego; KURS 1040 AM; and the San Diego Union-Tribune
For more information on UC San Diego’s 50th Anniversary and Green Open House activities and events, please visit www.50th.ucsd.edu. For more information on the university’s annual Earth Week celebration, please visit http://earthweek.ucsd.edu.
Laura Margoni email@example.com or (858) 822-2485Christine Clark firstname.lastname@example.org or (858) 534-7618