UC San Diego Welcomes Campus, Local Community to Triton Day Experience
Free community event will offer entertainment, educational opportunities for whole family
Photo-Erik Jepsen/UC San Diego Publications
UC San Diego’s Admit Day and Open House will come together Saturday, April 7, as the Triton Day Experience, a showcase of the university’s vibrant campus community. The free event, open to the UC San Diego community and the public, will provide myriad opportunities to meet stellar professors, talk to student leaders, explore the campus and enjoy all-day entertainment.
The Triton Day Experience will extend the activities and goals of previous Admit Days, which were hosted by Office of Admissions and Relations with Schools to welcome newly admitted students.
Although some programs will be specifically tailored for UC San Diego’s admitted students, many of the day’s events will be enhanced for the campus and local community to discover UC San Diego's academic departments, student services, student organizations, endless resources and all that encompasses the Triton Experience.
“Our new Triton Day Experience is an exciting opportunity to show admitted students, prospective students and the community UC San Diego’s dynamic, world-class campus and for them to see how they can be a part of it,” said Mae Brown, assistant vice chancellor and director of admissions at UC San Diego. “From campus tours to the Meet the Minds academic fair and Thurgood Marshall College’s 34th Annual Cultural Celebration, the day will offer an exciting array of entertaining and educational events and activities for students and their families to enjoy.”
College planning and information sessions will be a part of the Triton Day Experience as well. San Diego-area middle school, high school and community college students and their families are invited to attend “Charting the Course,” a college planning session. There will be additional information available at the college information and planning booth throughout the day on the Sun God lawn.
“The Triton Day Experience is an incredible opportunity to build upon our existing outreach efforts to the local community,” said Irma Velasco, director of the chancellor’s campus and community relations program. “We want to let future generations of students, especially those who may live in underserved communities, to know that UC San Diego is accessible and that we want them here on our campus.”
The event, which takes place in and around the heart of campus, will feature a variety of activities, demonstrations and entertainment. Triton Day Experience events from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. include:
- Charting the Course College Planning and Information Session, 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.––UC San Diego invites middle school, high school and community college students and their families to campus to find out how to plan for, get into and pay for college. Faculty Club. Seating is limited. Please call (858) 534-6862 or email email@example.com to register.
- Meet the Minds Academic Fair–– Interact with leading UC San Diego professors and undergraduate and graduate students as they demonstrate some of their cutting-edge research, technology and world-changing projects. Lyman Avenue and Rupertus Way.
- Car Show and Sustainability Showcase––See the latest in both industrial and consumer vehicles: UC San Diego’s fleet of sustainable vehicles, new technology and research for consumer vehicles on and off the road. UC San Diego Faculty Club parking lot.
- Health Fair––Learn about UC San Diego Clinical Health Services, Sports Medicine, Physical/Occupational Therapy and more. Library Walk north.
- Student-Guided Campus Tours––(Every 30 minutes; last tour departs at 3 p.m.) Learn more about UC San Diego’s incredible campus. Depart from Rupertus Way, across from Center Hall.
- Triton Experience Entertainment Stages––Enjoy live music, dancing, singing and demonstrations at Sun God Lawn and Price Center Plaza.
Also on campus:
- Thurgood Marshall College’s 34th Annual Cultural Celebration, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.–– Experience the cultural diversity of UC San Diego at Thurgood Marshall College. The festival will feature music, dance, games and a children’s village with face painting, cotton candy, a henna workshop, scavenger hunt and world-art trivia. Thurgood Marshall College.
- Visual Arts Open Studios, 1 to 7 p.m.––Visitors will be able to step inside approximately 50 artist studios and interact with the emerging talent on campus as master’s and art practice doctoral students share their artistic process and finished pieces with the public. Visual Arts Facility, Russell Lane.
- Welcome to the Family! 2 to 4 p.m.–– The campus life festival hosted by Greek Life will feature a DJ, food and fun. Meet current UC San Diego students and get a taste of student life here on campus. Sun God Lawn.
- Family Game Night, 4 to 8 p.m.––Porter’s Pub welcomes visiting admitted students, families and current students for a game night. Food and beverages available for purchase. All ages welcome. Porter’s Pub.
Volunteers are needed to help showcase the UC San Diego campus to admitted students and the community for the Triton Day Experience. Sign up at http://volunteer50.ucsd.edu/. Volunteer shifts are available from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Triton Day is sponsored by Lenovo. Ample free parking will be available and free shuttles will be provided from designated parking areas to the center of campus. For more information on the Triton Day Experience, go to tritonday.ucsd.edu/experience.