Those who attended this year’s recent Postdoc Research Symposium and Postdoc Appreciation Lunch and Awards Ceremony sampled research projects from 25 different departments, and dessert at the crowded Appreciation Lunch took the form of well-deserved awards.
These faculty members and postdoctoral scholars earned Chancellor’s Awards:
Excellence in Postdoctoral Scholar Mentoring
- Professor Jeffrey Esko, Ph.D. (Cellular and Molecular Medicine)
- Professor Lucila Ohno-Machado, M.D., Ph.D. (Biomedical Informatics)
Outstanding Postdoctoral Scholars
- Kristin Palmsten, Sc.D. (Pediatrics)
- Matthew Stroud, Ph.D. (Medicine)
- 1st Place Oral Presenter: David Gorkin, Ph.D. (Cellular & Molecular Medicine)
- 2nd Place Oral Presenter: Rik van der Kant, Ph.D. (Cellular & Molecular Medicine)
- 3rd Place Oral Presenter: Kentaro Noma, Ph.D. (Division of Biological Sciences)
Five Best Poster Presenters
- Emily Edmonds, Ph.D. (Psychiatry)
- David Lavers, Ph.D. (Scripps Institution of Oceanography)
- Alexander Perez, Ph.D. (Center for Research in Biological Systems)
- Florian Sulzmaier, Ph.D. (Moores Cancer Center)
- Cassandra Weaver, Ph.D (Bioengineering)
People’s Choice Poster Award
- Yuru Shih, Ph.D (Bioengineering)
Jennifer Oh, who directs the Office of Postdoctoral and Visiting Scholar Affairs for the Office of Research Affairs, said she was pleased by the turnout for the symposium and the lunch, as well as proud of the faculty members and postdocs who were recognized for their achievements. “It was wonderful to see so many of our mentors and scholars together,” she said, “and even better to have some truly outstanding individuals highlighted for their impressive projects.”
See the Postdoc Calendar of Events here.
See the Chancellor’s blog entry about the events here.