University of California San Diego is hosting its 4th Annual Global Empowerment Summit on October 19 at the Beyster Auditorium, Rady School of Management, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. The event, presented by UC San Diego Social Impact & Innovation and UC San Diego Extension, is free and open to the public.
In an effort to make San Diego the kindest city in the United States, Mayor Kevin Falconer will present UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla with a City of San Diego proclamation declaring the day of the summit, October 19, as Kindest Day.
Among the day’s events:
- Janet Salazar, Foundation for the Support of the United Nations Permanent Representative and Permanent Observer of the United Nation’s Economic and Social Affairs Council, will discuss the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals and how UC San Diego and the region can contribute to improving the world.
- Keynote speaker Lindsay Wagner, most known for her starring role as “The Bionic Woman,” one of the first female heroes. She will discuss her continuing efforts to inspire and empower women.
- An array of panelists and performers will speak to global initiatives to create a brighter, more equitable and sustainable future.
- Participants in the UC San Diego Source of Change project — refugees and survivors of human trafficking, who operate small businesses at the university’s Farmer’s Market — will cater the event.
- District Attorney Summer Stephan will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award for an Outstanding Change Maker in the San Diego Community from Women4Empowerment and UC San Diego’s Social Impact and Innovation initiative. She has devoted her life to protecting children and families and giving a voice for justice to the voiceless and most vulnerable. Stephan is a national leader in the fight against sexual exploitation and human trafficking.
- Ken Blanchard, speaker, leadership consultant and author of more than 65 books, including “The One Minute Manager,” will receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from Women4Empowerment and UC San Diego’s Social Impact and Innovation initiative.
Register now for the 4th Global Empowerment Summit: Investing in the Future Changemakers at https://globalempowermentsummit2019.eventbrite.com.
The summit will feature an array of thought-leaders from various religious, governmental, nonprofit and business sectors discussing collaborative solutions in the areas of empowerment, education, sustainability, diversity, inclusion and social impact. Progressive global leaders will sit in dialogue with changemakers working within San Diego's underrepresented communities.
Among the panelists and speakers: Steven Dinkin, president of the National Conflict Resolution Center; Imam Taha Hassane, director, Islamic Center of San Diego; San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan; Jeff Light, publisher, editor-in-chief, San Diego Union-Tribune; and Emanuel Perlman, CEO and founder, Destination Peace International; Nicole Phillips, author and host of NPR’s The Kindness Podcast.
This summit is made possible by the generous co-sponsorship of the UC San Diego and community partners. To learn more about UC San Diego Social Impact & Innovation, visit: socialimpact.ucsd.edu.