The University of California San Diego is ranked the 10th best public university in the nation by the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges guidebook, released today. For more than a decade, the publication has included UC San Diego in its list of the nation’s top 10 public universities.
“We are pleased to be recognized once again by U.S. News & World Report as one of the nation’s top ten best public universities,” said Chancellor Pradeep K. Khosla. “We are proud that UC San Diego’s impact is felt far beyond the walls of our campus, as we continually push boundaries and drive innovation to make our world a better place.”
Interdisciplinary research at UC San Diego plays a critical role in human and environmental health. For example, UC San Diego recently launched a Microbiome and Microbial Sciences Initiative to research methods for manipulating microbiomes—distinct constellations of bacteria, viruses and other microorganisms that live on and in people, plants, soil, oceans and the atmosphere—for the benefit of human health. In addition, the campus is on forefront of connecting the internet to the physical world, through robotics: UC San Diego launched the interdisciplinary Contextual Robotics Institute to develop safe, useful and human-friendly robotics systems to advance how humans live. The university is also home to world-renowned cybersecurity researchers, such as Stefan Savage who has dedicated his career to analyzing, protecting and strengthening the systems and networks that make our digital age possible.
The U.S. News rankings are based on academic reputation, graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduate rate performance and alumni giving. For more information on U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 Best Colleges guidebook, click here.
UC San Diego consistently performs well across a variety of national and international rankings. Whether measuring the university’s research and its influence, or the economic diversity of its students and graduation rates, the campus demonstrates excellence across the board. Recent accolades include:
- No. 1 public university in the nation by Washington Monthly based on social mobility, research and civic engagement.
- 1st in the nation for women graduates in STEM, according to a study by BestColleges.com—UC San Diego’s proportion of STEM female graduates is three times the national average.
- 2nd in the nation for high numbers of low-income students and graduation rate success by the Washington, D.C.-based Third Way.
- 14th best university in the world by the 2016 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU).
- 17th best university in the world by the Center for World University Rankings (CWUR).
- 29 of UC San Diego’s undergraduate and graduate programs and disciplines hold top ten rankings nationally and globally.
For a complete listing of UC San Diego rankings, click here.