Photos: Ben Tolo
The San Diego Supercomputer Center (SDSC) at the University of California, San Diego, is holding a volunteer internship program for high school students this summer to assist them in gaining experience in a particular area of computational research.
The seven-week program, now in its third year, is called Research Experience for High School Students (REHS) and will be held June 25-August 10, 2012 at SDSC. The program pairs SDSC mentors with students, who will work as part of a research team. Internship hours, which typically range from 10 to 25 hours a week, will be coordinated with the SDSC mentors.
“This volunteer research program is a wonderful opportunity for students to gain valuable experience in subject areas that interest them, such as Web search engine design or creating computer simulation tools, or even helping to design and evaluate other courses and online community portals,” said Ange Mason, Education Program Manager at SDSC. “Students will be working on a variety of projects that we hope will inspire them toward computational science curriculums and careers they enter college.”
Some of the many REHS intern opportunities being offered this year include:
- Developing a Web search engine for biological data.
- Creating an easy-to-use scripting tool for use in earthquake computer visualizations.
- Learning about privacy consent directives to share existing data such as medical records and biosamples.
- Participating as an assistant for variety of student workshops in areas such as geoscience, digital illustration and art, and computer security.
- Contributing to further development of nationally funded immunology and protein structure database.
- Providing feedback and insights related to SDSC’s StudentTech Community Portal.
Students applying for the REHS program must be 16 years of age on or before June 24, 2012, per UC San Diego’s volunteer and employee requirements. Students may apply for up to three opportunities. All applications must be submitted via U.S. mail no later than March 30, 2012. Full details and applications available for download can be found here.
Selected applicants will be contacted by SDSC personnel to arrange a personal interview no later than April 26, 2012.
Warren R. Froelich, 858 822-3622, email@example.com